by Jesse Khong,
As summer is in full swing, my fiancé and I have been hosting and attending so many parties. I figure it is time to present you a post about outdoor entertaining. The images are from some of the events that have taken place in my garden. I also include two of our very easy quick bite recipes. After all, who can entertain without providing something yummy to stimulate the taste buds?
Polenta & Mushroom Tapas
- 1 log of polenta (available in any major grocery store): cut into ½” slices
- 1 ½ cup of sliced mushrooms (button, Crimini or Shiitake)
- A few pinches of paprika, salt & pepper
- A pinch of sugar
- 1 tea spoon of olive oil
- A pinch of chopped, dried basil leaves for garnishing
Add the oil into a pan set on medium heat. After the oil is hot, add the mushrooms and sauté for 30 seconds; then add a few pinches of paprika, salt, pepper and a pinch of sugar to taste. Stir for a few minutes then set aside.
Grill the polenta slices or fry them on a pan using medium heat.
Layout the polenta slices on a plate and add a tea spoon of mushroom on top of each slice. Sprinkle some chopped, dried basil leaves and serve.
Scallop & Grilled Vegetable Tapas
- 500g of small scallops
- 1 small container of fresh mozzarella: cut into ¼” slices
- 1 zucchini: cut into ¼” slices
- 1 jar of roasted red pepper: cut into 1 ½” pieces
- 1 baguette of any kind: cut into ½” slices
- A few pinches of salt, pepper & sugar
- 1 teaspoon of olive oil
- Medium sized toothpicks
Heat the oil on medium heat and sauté the scallops for 30 seconds. Add a few pinches of salt and pepper to taste. Sprinkle a few pinches of sugar to slightly caramelize the scallops. Toss around for a few minutes and set aside.
Grill the zucchini slices or fry them in a pan on medium heat
Layout the baguette slices on a plate, add the mozzarella, zucchini, pepper and scallops. Hold everything together with the toothpicks and serve.